Make a claim
How to make a claim for Universal Credit
You will be expected to make your Universal Credit application online.
Universal Credit can't be a backdated claim so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible.
Please make enough time to complete your application - it may take 40 minutes or more. Once you start an application, you cannot save it part way through.
To make a claim, you will need:
- Your National Insurance number
- Details of the bank, building society or Post Office account that you want Universal Credit paid into
- Your tenancy agreement (if you have one)
- Details of your savings or other capital
- Details of any other benefits you are getting
If you can use a computer, but you do not have access to one, you can use computers at the Jobcentre in Eastleigh or make your claim using one of the self-service terminals at the Council offices - Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh, SO50 9YN. You can also make your claim using a computer in the public libraries
If you need to make a claim but need some help, you can make an appointment by calling 023 8068 8000.