Discretionary Housing Payment (DHPs)

Applying for additional support

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, including housing costs, and it does not meet the full amount of your rent, you can apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs). These payments are to help residents in extremely difficult financial circumstances.

As there is a limited local fund from which to issue any DHP payments, you will also be required to explain the steps
you are taking, or will take, to fund the shortfall yourself.

To apply you will need to give a full breakdown of all income and expenditure and provide recent bank statements before we will consider it:

Please ensure that you check your eligibility prior to completing the application form:
Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme (DHP) - Policy Statement  (page 9, or Part 4, for eligibility information)

Application form for Discretionary Housing Payments
Please contact us if you require a hard copy form

Please note: Discretionary Housing Payments may be given for a limited period. The decision whether to give any additional payments is solely at our discretion - the appeal rights for Housing Benefit do not apply.


A guide to local and national resources for people in financial hardship in the Eastleigh area can be found here:

Help for people in financial hardship