Universal Credit

Page last updated at 12 July 2017 at 09:39

Universal Credit is being rolled out across the country over the next 2 years.  Eastleigh becomes a Universal Credit Full Service area from 12 July 2017.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new type of benefit designed to support people who are on a low income or out of work. The new system is based on a single monthly payment to the claimant and will replace six existing benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit


What’s different about Universal Credit?

Universal Credit will be a single, monthly payment into a bank account.

Universal Credit will be paid in a different way to current benefits:

  • It will be paid monthly into an account you choose
  • If you get help with your rent, this will be included in your monthly payment – you’ll then pay your landlord yourself

How to Claim

You will be expected to make your Universal Credit application online at https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit.

You cannot backdate your Universal Credit claim so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible.

Please give time to complete your application, it may take 40 minutes or more.  Once you start an application, you cannot save it part way through.

To make a claim, you will need:

  • Your National Insurance number
  • Details of the bank, building society or Post Office account that you want Universal Credit paid into
  • Your tenancy agreement (if you have one)
  • Details of your savings or other capital
  • Details of any other benefits you are getting

If you can use a computer, but you do not have access to one:

  • You can use computers at the Jobcentre in Eastleigh
  • You can make your claim using one of the self service terminals at the Council Offices - Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh, SO50 9YN
  • You can also make your claim using a computer in the public libraries

If you need to make a claim but need some help, you can make an appointment by calling 023 8068 8046.

In receipt of Universal Credit and struggling to pay your rent?

If you are in receipt of Universal Credit (Housing Costs) and you are struggling to pay any shortfall in your rent, you can apply to Eastleigh Borough Council for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).  More information about DHP's can be found here.

Help with Council Tax

You may be able to get help with your Council Tax.  As Council Tax is not included in the payment of Universal Credit you will need to complete an additional application form to claim Council Tax Support.  Please click the following link to make a claim: Council Tax Support Claim Form.