Under Occupation

Page last updated at 05 November 2015 at 16:20

If you live in a Housing Association property and you have one or more spare bedrooms, your Housing Benefit may be reduced.  This will affect you if:

  • you are of working age.
  • you only receive a small amount of Housing Benefit - for example, if you are working.
  • you are sick or disabled.

You will not be affected if:

  • you live in a one bedroom property, or a studio flat, or;
  • you or your partner are old enough to receive state Pension Credit.

You may also be entitled to an extra bedroom if you have a severely disabled child in your household who cannot share with another child due to medical reasons.  In order for your claim to be reconsidered, you must write to the Council to describe your situation and provide suitable supporting medical evidence before a decision will be made.

Since 01 April 2013 Housing Associations tenants have had their bedroom requirements assessed in the same way as tenants of private landlords.  The method for calculating your bedroom requirement can be found via this link Bedroom Calculation

If you have one or more extra bedrooms the rent and eligible service charges used in the calculation of your rent will be reduced by:

  • 14% if you have 1 extra bedroom, or;
  • 25% if you have 2 or more extra bedrooms.

If your benefit is reduced you will have to pay to your landlord the difference between your Housing Benefit entitlement and your rent - if you don't, your tenancy will be at risk.