Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments

Page last updated at 13 September 2017 at 08:43

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit including Housing Costs which does not meet the full amount of your rent you can apply for Discretionary Housing Payments. You will required to give a full breakdown of all income and expenditure and asked to provide bank statements before any consideration is made. 

Discretionary Housing Payments may be given for a limited period if the Council consider it appropriate in your circumstances. However, there is a cash limited budget and the decision whether to give any additional payments is solely at the discretion of the Council and does not have the same appeal rights as Housing Benefit.

The Council policy for awarding DHP's can be found at the link below:

Additionally, a guide to local and national resources for people in financial hardship in the Eastleigh area can be found here: