Financial support

Find out about financial support available to residents

Test and Trace Support payment

Test and Trace Support payment was introduced by the Government to help those who are required to self-isolate and therefore unable to work, resulting in a loss of income. 

If you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have recently tested positive for Coronavirus, or have been told you or your child are a close contact by NHS Test and Trace, you may be entitled to a support payment of £500. An application for payment should be received no later than 42 days after the period of self-isolation ended.

Who will be able to apply for the payment?

To qualify for a payment under the Standard Scheme, you must be:

  • asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace because you have recently tested positive for Coronavirus, or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive;
  • employed or self-employed;
  • unable to work from home and will lose income as a result;
  • currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit
  • not exempt from self isolation

An application may be considered under our Discretionary Scheme. You would still be required to meet conditions 1-3 above for an application to be considered.

If you’re the parent or guardian of a child who needs to self-isolate

You might be able to get the payment if they have tested positive for COVID-19 and you need to take time off to look after them. They must:

  • be 15 or under, or 25 or under if they have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC)
  • live with you
  • normally be at school or in childcare
  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace

    You’ll need to meet the other eligibility criteria. You’ll need evidence that your child has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

    You might also be able to apply if your child has not tested positive for COVID-19 and all of the following are true:
  • your child is 25 or under and has an EHC plan
  • they have been told they’re a close contact by NHS Test and Trace
  • they are not exempt from self-isolating

Payments will be subject to income tax, but not national insurance contributions, and therefore should be declared in your next tax assessment. If you are PAYE your tax will be adjusted by your employer.

Test and Trace Support payments are disregarded for the calculation of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

The scheme will be available until 31 March 2022.

If you have any questions please email, or call our Customer Service Centre on 023 8068 8000.

Help with your council tax

We can help and support you if you are struggling to pay your council tax due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

If you are worried about your ability to meet council tax payments, we have various measures in place to support you, including payment reductions and deferrals. Please call 023 8068 8470 or email to discuss the options that are open to you.   

Council tax support

Council Tax Support is a payment made directly to your Council Tax account which reduces the amount you have to pay. You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you are on a low income or claiming benefits.

If you are considering claiming Universal Credit due to loss of income and also require council tax support, you will need to make a claim for council tax support directly with us. Please do not delay in doing this.

Support from central government 

You can find further information about financial support measures announced by government on the website.