Private hire driver's licence
Information on applying to be a private hire driver
New applications and renewals
To make an application to become a private hire driver in Eastleigh Borough please make an appointment with our Licensing Team at:
Eastleigh Borough Council Licensing
You will need to bring the following items with you to the appointment:
- A full current driving licence that has been valid for two years prior to the date of application. If new style, plastic card and paper counterpart
- Application Form signed by the operator you are going to work for - Download the Application Form
- Produce, for examination, a current certificate of insurance covering "for hire and reward" with your name on it
- Proof of identification: Passport, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, and Utility Bill showing current address
- National Insurance number proof, card or correspondence
- Two colour passport size photographs
- Licence fee £182 (cash or chequeor card payable to Eastleigh Borough Council)
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check fee £44 (cash, card, or cheque payable to Eastleigh Borough Council)
- Medical form completed by doctor (required for all new applications and every 5 years thereafter). On attaining 65 years of age a medical certificate will be required every year - Download the Medical form, Medical Screening Form (if not using own doctors), and screening notes
Before arranging for this medical report to be completed please read the notes at section C, paragraphs 1,2,3,4 and 5 (Group 2 Medical Standards). If you have any of these conditions you may not be granted a licence.
If, after reading the notes, you have any doubts about your ability to meet the medical standards of Group 2 as set out on DVLA web site (see note B2 below for website), consult your Doctor and/or Optician before you arrange for this medical report to be completed. In the event of your application being refused, the fee you pay your Doctor is not refundable, Eastleigh Borough Council has no responsibility for the fee payable to your Doctor.
In future, if you develop symptoms of a condition that could affect safe driving, you must inform the Council’s Licensing Team immediately.
- All new applicants to be private hire drivers must take and pass our "knowledge test". The first test fee is included in the initial application, any retakes cost £15 each; and
- All new applicants to provide the name and address of two referees as to their character, suitability, etc.
It will take in the region of six to eight weeks to obtain a licence depending mainly on the response time for vetting by the Disclosure and Barring Service
You can hold both hackney carriage and private hire driver's licences at the same time but the costs would be doubled.
Criminal or driving convictions will affect an application, however, guidelines apply and each case is dealt with on its merits (see Guidance notes and conditions below).