Hackney Carriage vehicle licences

Information on applying for a Hackney Carriage vehicle licence

If you want to use a private car as a Licensed Hackney Carriage in Eastleigh then ALL those who will drive the vehicle must be licensed by us to drive a Hackney Carriage vehicle. 

The vehicle cannot be driven by any person who is not licensed to do so. This is a prosecutable offence. 

Before a Hackney Carriage vehicle licence is granted, renewed, or transferred, an application must be completed and submitted to us -  Download the application for Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence or transfer 

The application form must be completed and signed by the applicant and submitted to our Licensing Team at
Eastleigh House, Upper Market Street, Eastleigh, SO50 9YN

Email: licensing@eastleigh.gov.uk 

Telephone 023 8068 8109

You will need to produce the following for examination at the time of the interview :

  • Vehicle registration document or bill of sale (Log book to be produced when in possession)
  • Current vehicle insurance certificate that shows cover for "public hire and reward" with named driver on the certificate
  • Current vehicle inspection certificate (any VOSA registered garage within our Borough)
  • Current vehicle MOT test certificate (if the vehicle is over three years old) or
  • If it is a newly presented vehicle (less that seven years old) it will need to be taken to our Hedge End Depot and obtain a Certificate of Compliance test.
  • Two colour photographs of the vehicle (front/nearside and rear/offside)
  • Pay the appropriate fee

NOTE: Applicants should allow at least 10 - 14 working days for the Council to process an application.