Taxi Licensing

We licence Hackney Carriages (Taxis) and Private Hire Vehicles (Minicabs)

There are two types of vehicle licensed by us as the local authority:

  • Hackney Carriages (Taxis) which can be hailed in the street or at a rank in the borough, both the driver and vehicle needs to be licensed.
  • Private Hire Vehicle (sometimes referred to as minicabs) which can only be pre-booked. In addition to the driver and vehicle the operator of the vehicle also needs to be licensed by the authority.

Frequently asked questions:       

I want to drive a taxi, do I need a licence?
Yes, you will need a Hackney Carriage driver's licence 

I am licensed with another Council.  Do I need another licence in Eastleigh?
Yes, if you plan to operate in more than one Borough you will need a licence from each council.

Is there an age restriction?
You must be over 19 years old and have held a full current driving licence for two years. There is no upper age limit.

How often am I required to have a medical examination?
Between the ages of 19 and 65 you will be required to have a medical every 5 years. Between the ages of 65 to 70 this becomes an annual requirement.

I would like to run my own Private Hire Vehicle business, do I need a licence?
Yes.  You will need an Operator’s licence.  If you also wish to run your own vehicles and act as a driver you will also need a Private hire vehicle licence and Private driver's licence.

I would like to drive my own car for an Operator in your area, what do I need?
You will need to have your vehicle made a Private hire vehicle, have the vehicle examined by our Depot as to its suitability. You yourself must be a licensed Private hire driver to drive it.

Do I need an Operator’s Licence to run a Hackney Carriage (Taxi)?
No. You only need an Operator’s licence for operating private hire vehicles, but you will need a Hackney Carriage vehicle licence to operator a vehicle.

What do I need to do to obtain a Hackney Carriage (taxi) licence?
Please read our section covering Hackney Carriage vehicles.

Can I transfer my licence to a newer vehicle?
Yes. There is a transfer fee and as long as our Depot approves the vehicle it can be used.

How often is my vehicle required to have a mechanical test?
Hackney Carriage and private hire vehicles are tested at our Depot, Botley Road, Hedge End SO30 2RA, when the vehicle is first presented to be licensed (compliance test).  Hackney Carriages are then required to be tested annually until they reach six years old and then they are required to be tested every six months. Private hire vehicles must be tested annually.

What are the fees?
Please see our taxi licensing fees and charges section.

What are the maximum Hackney Carriage passenger fares?
Please see our Hackney Carriage fares section.

How long does it take to get a licence?
In the region of six to eight weeks depending mainly on the response for vetting by the Disclosure and Barring Service

Can I hold both hackney carriage and private hire driver's licences at the same time?
Yes.  The requirements for both licences are the same apart from the knowledge test is different and the cost is double.

Will criminal or driving convictions affect an application?
Yes.  However, guidelines apply and each case is dealt with on its merits, see the Handbook

Make a complaint about a taxi or private hire driver: