Taxi and private hire vehicle licensing
Please note that the borough council does not employ individual drivers, proprietors or operators; many work together on radio circuits, others work individually. If you wish to book a taxi or private hire vehicle, you should contact a licensed operator direct.
Hackney carriages and their drivers are licensed under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976. Private hire vehicles, drivers and operators are licensed under the 1976 Act.
Types of licence
- Hackney carriages, often referred to as taxis, may be hailed, hired from a taxi rank or pre-booked. Licensed hackney carriages have a roof sign and a distictive orange plate on the rear of the vehicle. Maximum fares for journeys within the borough are regulated by the borough council and a taximeter will be used.
- Hackney carriage drivers may drive an Eastleigh licensed hackney carriage, and must wear and display their licence badges.
- Private hire vehicles may only be pre-booked and are identified by a distictive green plate on the rear and display "No Booking No Ride" on the side of the vehicle. Fares are not regulated and should be agreed at the time of booking. A taximeter may be used, if one is available.
- Private hire drivers may drive an Eastleigh licensed private hire vehicle and must wear and display their licence badges.
- Private hire operator's licences are required by individuals or firms which take bookings for the hire of private hire vehicles.
More information about:
Taxi and private hire complaints
You can make a complaint about a hackney carriage (taxi), private hire vehicle, driver or operator licensed by the borough council. All complaints must be made in writing using the link below.
Please note that, if your complaint relates to a road traffic infringement, such as alleged "road rage", your complaint must be made to Hampshire Constabulary in the first instance.
Please see the list of the borough's licensed hackney carriages and private hire vehicles which are wheelchair accessible - this includes contact details for the proprietor or operator of each vehicle, where this information has been made available.
Please note that this list is provided for information only, and that Eastleigh Borough Council cannot guarantee that individual operators, proprietors or drivers will be able or willing to provide any particular taxi or private hire service.
The Department for Transport has announced that it intends to implement Part 5 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 to require all hackney carriages to be wheelchair accessible with effect from a date to be set. These proposals are still being developed, and have been further delayed from the 2010 target date.
Details of licences granted for hackney carriages, hackney carriage drivers, private hire vehicles, private hire drivers and private hire operators are available through Public Access - there is also an extract of the register of hackney carriage and private hire drivers.