Pet shop licence
To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals online.
We will not grant a licence to any applicant who has previously been disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
Prior to granting a licence we will look to satisfy the following :
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
We will attach conditions to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.