Page last updated at 12:17 GMT, Monday, November 19 2012
Walking in Eastleigh
Walking is the most affordable, flexible, widely available and
socially inclusive mode of independent travel available to Borough
residents and as a result it is vital that Eastleigh Borough
Council encourages walking as much as possible. To promote walking,
people need to be assured that the journey they take will be safe,
secure, convenient and take place in a reasonably pleasant
The policy acknowledges there are a number of barriers to
overcome in order to get more people walking and emphasises the
wide ranging benefits walking can bring.
The aims of the policy are as follows:
- Encourage more people to walk to access services and facilities
as opposed to using the car.
- Improve the integration of walking with other sustainable
transport modes to ensure realistic alternatives to the car are
- Promote walking as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Assist in reducing the Borough's Carbon Footprint.
The key areas of the policy that will work towards the
vision of encouraging walking and make it safer and easier are as
Back to top
- Walking to public transport services
- Walking to leisure facilities
- Walking in town centres
- Walking to work
- School Travel
- Walking for health and recreation
- Walking in rural areas