Parking, Travel & Roads

On this page:

Page last updated at 12:06 GMT, Monday, November 16 2009

Transport Policy on Planning Applications

The Transport Policy Section of the Transportation and Engineering Unit comments on planning applications regarding highway/ transportation implications to the Head of Development Control.
Applications for large sites, involving developers' contributions, are handled jointly in conjunction with the Hampshire County Council County Environment Department but for initial advice please contact : Eric Reed on 023 8068 8233.
For major developments the Highways Development Control Section within the Transport Policy Group of the Environment Department of Hampshire County Council will provide advice.  The Borough Council will consult the Highways DC section for highway advice on planning applications above the following thresholds:

  • 100 residential dwellings
  • 2000 sqm non food retail
  • 1400 sqm food retail
  • 4500 sqm industrial/warehousing  

Financial Contributions

Hampshire Highways Development Control seeks to ensure the developer provides adequate funding, either as a lump sum or in instalments, to provide alternative modes of transport other than the car to serve the development in accordance with national and local policies. Funding may also be secured towards measures identified in the Local Transport Plan to improve the existing transport network.  Eastleigh Borough Council negotiates and collects transport related contributions on behalf of Hampshire County Council, in accordance with the County Council's current policy “Transport Contributions Policy - A New Approach to Calculating Transport Contributions in Hampshire”, September 2007.  For further information on planning obligations see "Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document" pdf adopted July 2008.

Movement Access Streets and Spaces (MASS)

is Hampshire County Council's highway design guide for new residential development.  The document is available from the County Council and costs £50 plus £3 p&p.  An online application form is available on their web site.

Accessibility Map

In line with Figure 1 of the Hampshire Parking Strategy and Standards 2002, a detailed accessibility map has been produced for the Borough.  This provides zones of accessibility based on Public Transport Accessibility Levels (PTALs) and is used to determine the level of parking that is required for non-residential developments.

Parking Standards

Eastleigh Borough Council adopted a revised set of Residential Parking Standards in January 2009.  These have been produced as a Supplementary Planning Document and replace Table 1 of Appendix 1 of the Hampshire Parking Strategy and Standards 2002, which has now been withdrawn.  The revised standards set out the amount of car parking for new residential development, based on expected car ownership levels.  The non-residential parking standards are unchanged and are set out in the Hampshire Parking Strategy and Standards 2002.

Refuse Storage and Collection

Details of refuse collection requirements are covered in the Borough Council's Supplementary Planning Document "The Storage and Collection of Domestic Waste and Recyclable Materials". 
Other Supplementary Planning Documents have been produced and these can be viewed on the Borough Councl's web site XXX link XXX.  If you have any queries on Planning Policy matters please contact: Tony Wright, Planning Policy and Design, on 023 8068 8245.

Road adoptions and Section 38 agreements

are now dealt with by Hampshire County Council.  Please contact Amar Nijhar at the County Council for information on 01329 824671.

To see a list of highways which are currently maintainable, look at Hampshire County Council's web site.
To check whether other land is owned or maintained by the Borough Council contact Property Services, Denise Solman on 023 8068 8118.

Back to top